The S80’s eye-catching, contemporary Scandinavian styling still looks as fresh and modern now as it did when it boldly introduced a new era of Volvo design architecture at its launch nearly five years ago. It’s no surprise that Volvo has only needed to make detailed refinements to the new S80’s interior and exterior, plus new technology to underline its continued commitment to the prestigious, executive saloon market.
Dynamically, the new S80 has been refined with:
- Volvo’s ‘Four-C’ (Continuously Controlled
Chassis Concept) adaptive chassis, from the S60 R and V70
R performance models, which will be available in two wheel
drive format on the new S80, with two settings: Comfort
- A new 2.5T turbo engine which replaces the 2.4T, offering
more power, torque and performance, without harming fuel
economy or emissions
- New ZF steering for more direct feel and sharper handling
- Dynamic Stability and Traction Control (DSTC) now standard
Exterior refinements to the new S80 include:
- Dynamic dark silver ‘square-mesh’ grille
- Rear park assist (optional)
- Chrome door handles
- Chrome highlights under side windows and lower bumper
- Redesigned, more aerodynamic door mirrors which keep side
- More distinctive rear featuring smaller, smarter rear
light clusters with LED brake lights and lower chrome strip,
reprofiled one-piece boot lid with chrome detailing above
the number plate, and redesigned, colour-coded bumper
- New, smoother front section around grille, bumper and
spoiler with chrome strip across lower air intake, and larger
apertures for the foglamps
The interior of the new S80 includes:
- New door panels for front doors with superior grab handle
- New charcoal colour finish for centre dashboard controls
- S60 R ‘chronograph’ style dashboard instrumentation
on 6-cylinder models
- Chrome detailing (as XC90) for dashboard instrumentation
on 5-cylinder models
- Superior covering for headlining, pillars and sunvisors
- New ‘Premium’ sound system with Dynaudio speakers
- New walnut wood or aluminium inlays (optional)
Hugh Reid, Managing Director Volvo Car UK, comments: ‘The
S80 has always represented style, space and luxury, and been
the most distinctive executive saloon in its class. Now its
added refinements keep it fresh, more desirable and more rewarding
to drive. With the new S80, Volvo will continue to make its
mark on the prestige saloon market.’
Full details of the new S80 range will be released when it goes on sale in April, with first deliveries expected in early summer.
Published : 16/02/03 Author : Melanie Carter
This is a 18-year+ news article, from our Volvo archive, which dates back to the year 2000.
If in doubt check with your local Volvo dealer as car prices and technical data will have changed since 2003.
Although our car news is published in good faith, we cannot guarantee it to be error free or complete or up-to-date.
Volvo Images may not be UK specification cars. Colours and exterior and/or interior elements may differ from actual models.
The car news and images remain the copyright of the rights holder and may not be used without their consent.