At the 2011 BusinessCar Fleet Technology Awards - The Techies - Volvo's mobile application has been presented with the Best App award, marking the third time Volvo has been presented an award for its technology.
Previously, Volvo's City Safety and Pedestrian Detection with Full Auto Brake systems have one the Best Car Safety Device.
Volvo's mobile app works in conjunction with Volvo's On call telematics technology which will be fitted to all Volvo models from Model year 2012. On Call enables to user to communicate with an operator at the touch of a button, being provided with vocal assistance as well as contacting and guiding the emergency services to the vehicle in the event of an accident.
The new mobile app, available for Android and iPhone, will allow the user to communicate with their Volvo from where ever they have mobile network coverage.
"We design cars around people's needs and lifestyle. Creating an intuitive and ergonomically optimised driver's environment is part of our aim to offer a feeling of relaxed control. It is only logical that you should feel in command of your vehicle, including after you have parked it," says Stefan Jacoby, President and CEO at Volvo Car Corporation.
The app includes the following features:
• Car locator. The location of the car is displayed on a map, alongside a digital compass to point the driver in the right direction. The car horn and indicators can be activated to aid in the search.
• Remote door lock. The status of all doors and windows is displayed - the driver can also lock and unlock the car remotely via the app.
• Vehicle dashboard. This feature provides the driver with a range of information: fuel level, remaining range to empty tank, average fuel consumption, average speed, odometer reading and trip meter reading.
• Car check. The mobile app performs a "health" check of the car, displaying information about bulbs, break fluid level, coolant level, engine oil level and engine oil pressure.
• Driving journal. Detailed data of each trip during the last 40 days can be downloaded and stored. The data can also be extracted as an Excel file - ideal for company car owners.
• Vehicle information. Basic car data such as model, registration number and VIN number are stored and can be displayed.
• Theft notification. If the car alarm is triggered, the driver is alerted via the mobile app.
• This new Volvo On Call generation still includes all the safety and security aspects that are part of the first generation.
This is a 10-year+ news article, from our Volvo archive, which dates back to the year 2000.
If in doubt check with your local Volvo dealer as car prices and technical data will have changed since 2011.
Although our car news is published in good faith, we cannot guarantee it to be error free or complete or up-to-date.
Volvo Images may not be UK specification cars. Colours and exterior and/or interior elements may differ from actual models.
The car news and images remain the copyright of the rights holder and may not be used without their consent.