Exterior Design - A Distinctive Profile
- Sleek and sculpted lines flow across the new Focus range guaranteeing
that, regardless of bodystyle, all models share a common design
- The new model is unmistakably a Focus, retaining the original
spirit of individuality from the rest of its segment - with a
fast, coupe-like profile.
"Our target was to build a coherent and distinctive family of derivatives that would be successful designs in their own right," said Chris Bird, Director of Design, Ford of Europe.
A more muscular stance - highlighted by flared wheel arches that are more prominent and yet more integrated into the overall design.
- The bold lines of Ford’s ‘family’ radiator
grille, headlights and air dam - shared with Focus C-MAX - give
the new Focus a purposeful personality.
- Low ‘family’ nose is steeply raked. From it the
key lines of the body structures sweep up towards the rear - creating
a hunched and athletic profile.
- Power bulge arches back from the radiator grille to the A-pillars,
set off with prominent ‘cheekbones’ that are shared
by all Focus models.
Visually the most dramatic and obvious difference between Focus and its competitors is at the rear.
- Fast profile allows 3-door model to look believable as a _oupe
as well as being a full-value 5-seater – a silhouette which
is shared elegantly by the 5-door model.
- The estate embodies the sporting sculpture, bringing a new elegance
and purposeful stance to an extremely functional and space efficient
- Sharp and sporting lines of the front and rear pillars give the
new Focus its bold personality, every bit as dynamic as its predecessor
but in a more refined and integrated manner.
- Cockpit feel of the driving environment is nurtured, while still
increasing the real world space available to driver and passengers.
"It is an entirely new way of looking at Focus but it remains clearly a Focus nonetheless, balancing that sportiness with functionality and practical daily living," said Chris Bird.
Published : 09/09/04 Author : Melanie Carter
Ford Focus News
This is a 17-year+ news article, from our Ford archive, which dates back to the year 2000.
If in doubt check with your local Ford dealer as car prices and technical data will have changed since 2004.
Although our car news is published in good faith, we cannot guarantee it to be error free or complete or up-to-date.
Ford Focus Images
Ford Focus Images may not be UK specification cars. Colours and exterior and/or interior elements may differ from actual models.
The car news and images remain the copyright of the rights holder and may not be used without their consent.