- Volvo to sponsor UK's top female snowboarder, Lesley McKenna
- Volvo accessories for winter sports
Britain's top female snowboarder, Lesley McKenna, is now being sponsored by Volvo, and finds her XC90 and Volvo sporting and winter accessories perfect for her active pastime.
Lesley McKenna - Team Volvo for Life
Lesley Mckenna¹, ranked Britain's number one snowboarder and in the top five in the World Cup half pipe standings, joins other Volvo sponsored athletes as a member of ‘Team Volvo for Life'² - an inspirational team of top athletes representing some of the best of British sporting talent.
Volvo will be supporting Lesley in her bid to become the first British female to win a snowboarding medal at the 2006 winter games in Turin. With 20 British championship titles already behind her, and as the only British snowboarder to compete in the Salt Lake games in 2002, Lesley's snowboarding talents are world renowned. She now specialises in riding 'half pipe', 'slope style' and 'big air events', and her Volvo XC90 is taking everything she puts it through in its stride.
"The Volvo XC90 is the best car I have ever driven in snowy and icy conditions," commented Lesley. "Competing in the World Cup circuit involves a lot of travelling to championships in different resorts and countries, but I feel I can completely trust the XC90 to get me to my destination, even in the toughest weather conditions, and in absolute safety," she added.
Volvo Winter Sports Accessories
Volvo's Swedish heritage means cold weather and winter sports are basic priorities for its designers to consider for its cars and accessories.
Apart from efficient heating and ventilation systems and the option of heated seats designed to cope with sub-zero temperatures as a matter of course, Volvo also has a full range of accessories especially designed for all types of winter sports:
- Roof boxes: a choice of sizes and styles available for all Volvo saloons, estates and SUVs, available from £222.
- Ski/snowboard racks: purpose-designed racks to hold either 4 or 6 pairs of skis or up to 4 snowboards available from £70.
- Load carrier: saloon models have specially designed fixing points for load carriers (roof bars), available from £80.
- Bumper protector: this is available to fold out from the boot/tailgate of any Volvo to protect the bumper from scratches and keeps clothing clean when loading the boot, Available from £50.
- Boot liners and mats: rubber floor mats offer ideal protection for interior carpets, and are available for all Volvos in a choice of colours from £75, or boot liners and boot mats for estate/SUV models are available from around £75 and £85 respectively.
- Snow chains: easy to fit and highly recommended, even for models with All-Wheel Drive. Available for all models from £141.
- Tow rope: a 5-metre towing rope with electro-zinc plated attachments at both ends will prove useful if you get stuck in heavy snow, or if you need to help someone else. Available from £8.