Volvo has now added two new diesel engines, even more premium features and new technological advances for the 2006 model year S60, V70, XC70, S80 and XC90 ranges.
- Diesel: two new Euro IV versions of the Volvo 5 cylinder diesel engine: 2.4D with 163bhp (same outputs as current D5)
- D5 with power increased to 185bhp
- Extended service intervals
- New six-speed gearboxes
- Volvo Inscription™: new bespoke, luxury interiors for S60, V70 and XC90
- AWD with Instant Traction™: New Haldex All Wheel Drive system
- Traffic Monitoring: Satellite navigation system now with RDS TMC (Traffic Message Channel)
- Geartronic: new 6-speed Geartronic (auto/manual) transmission for R models
- Environmental care: CNG Bi-Fuel models only for 2006
- Waiting times: order now, delivery from July
- Volvo S80: Extra value, streamlined range
More Diesel Power - Cleaner Emissions
With 60 per cent of Volvo's UK customers now choosing diesel power, news of the enhancements and increased choice of two new versions of Volvo's popular five-cylinder turbo-diesel engine will definitely be of interest.
The D5 engine's power output increases from 163bhp to 185bhp and from 340Nm to 400Nm of torque (similar to many 6 cylinder diesels), and Volvo will also introduce a new 2.4 D model with 163bhp and 340Nm. Both these diesel engines have received new engine management systems to improve refinement and flexibility further, new turbochargers, new fuel injectors and combustion systems and diesel particulate filters (DPF). Both deliver significant NVH improvements and are also Euro IV compliant.
The D5's increased power improves performance noticeably, with 0-62mph times reduced by at least one second. For example, the 0-62mph time for the S60 D5 reduces from 9.5 seconds to 8.2, while the XC90 D5, which also benefits from Volvo's new AWD system with Instant TractionT, improves from 12.2 seconds down to 10.9 seconds.
Service intervals for these engines are extended to 18,000 miles1, and both have a new six-speed manual gearbox as standard. A new six-speed Geartronic automatic transmission will go into production in October (orders are being taken now) - until then the current D5 163bhp engine will be available for customers wishing to take delivery sooner. The new D5 engine is available on the Volvo XC90 and XC70, while the S60 and V70 offer both new diesel engines, the 2.4D and the D5.