you have to accept some convenience limitations as a compromise for the stylish looks and youthful sportiness...
Comfort and Refinement
With any coupe you have to accept some convenience limitations as a compromise for the stylish looks and youthful sportiness. The Scirocco is no exception in this respect. The cabin is snug rather than spacious, and the rear seats have their limitations in terms of knee-room and headroom. The lowish roofline means stooping to get into the car, which may not suit any elderly relatives you need to transport.
The two side doors are quite large, and so access to the front seats is relatively easy. Shoehorning your way into the back is a lot more awkward, though, and takes a bit of agility and flexibility to bend and twist into the rear seats.
Once installed, the seats are firmly supportive and the car has a cocooning feel, so it is quite comfortable for average trips, although anyone tall and travelling in the back may not relish a long motorway haul.
Refinement is pretty good, the Scirocco is pleasantly quiet and relaxing with subdued noise levels, and never become raucous even when the engine is hard at work.
Safety and Security
A five star Euro NCAP crash test rating confirms the Scirocco’s safety credentials. Standard safety kit on the car includes anti-lock braking with hydraulic brake assist and electronic brakeforce distribution. Electronic stability control and traction control are also fitted, and there is an electronic differential lock. The brakes are discs all around, with the front ones ventilated.
There are front, side and curtain airbags for the driver and front seat passenger, and also curtain airbag protection for passengers in the back. The front seats are topped by safety-optimised head restraints, and the two rear seats come equipped with Isofix child seat preparation.
From the base level Scirocco trim upwards, the car comes equipped with a touch-screen DAB radio and audio system with a six-CD autochanger and eight speakers. Connectivity is provided for Aux, MP3 and Bluetooth, so everything is already installed to connect up your phone and stream your music.
Move up to GT trim, and the standard kit list additionally includes touch-screen navigation with a five-inch colour screen set into the dash. It also adds climate control over the base Scirocco’s manual air conditioning. The sound quality is pretty good, and the system is easy to use via the touch-screen system.
- Audi TT
- Seat Leon
- BMW 2-Series
- Mercedes-Benz CLA
What We Liked
- Sleek looking coupe styling
- Strong performance from two-litre diesel engine
- Fun to drive with sporty handling, good on the bends
- Firm but comfortable ride quality
- Excellent smooth and creamy gearchange
- Neat retro instruments cluster on top of the dash
- Sporty looking flat-bottomed steering wheel like a Golf GTI
- Huggy seats with good lateral cushioning
- Choice of differing powered petrol and diesel engines
- Good refinement for relaxed motorway cruising
- Good boot for a car of its type
What We Disliked
- Not much stowage space around the car
- No versions with below 100 g/km CO2 emissions
What We Would Like To See
- The excellent Volkswagen Group MQB modular chassis, that underpins the latest Golf, upgrading this car. It’s still pretty good, but uses a last-generation Golf chassis. Come 2016, though, the next generation Scirocco will have the same underpinnings as the highly-respected current generation Golf.
A new generation Scirocco is on the horizon, but in the meantime Volkswagen has spruced up the current model to keep its appeal fresh through to 2016. It looks good, drives well and is priced at a reasonable level for a very stylish-looking car with strong performance and enjoyable driving characteristics.6 August 2014
Volkswagen Scirocco Road Test Data
|Model Reviewed||Volkswagen Scirocco GT 2.0 TDI 150|
|Body Type||3-door Coupe|
|Performance (manufacturers data)|
|0 - 62 mph||7.5 Seconds|
|Top Speed||143 mph|
|CO2 Emissions (NEDC Figures)||115 g/km|
|Economy (NEDC Figures)|
|Euro NCAP Rating||5-stars|
|Warranty||3 Years / 60,000 Miles|
|Price (when tested on the 06/08/14)||£26,025|