The Vauxhall Ampera is the first car to score maximum points in the side pole impact test, which has been mandatory since 2009.
In the latest NCAP safety ratings, the Vauxhall Ampera has received the top five star, making it the first electric vehicle from a European manufacturer suitable for everyday use to achieve such a result.
The Vauxhall Ampera exceeded the maximum points required in all categories for the top rating, which includes occupant protection, child safety, pedestrian protection and safety assist. In the side barrier test, the Ampera also achieved top results, due to the combination of solid core body structure, rigid passenger cell and efficient restraint systems.
"It has been a long tradition at Vauxhall/Opel to offer highest possible safety standards, and the Ampera impressively continues our leadership role in safety technology. The Ampera not only meets but exceeds the most stringent requirements for top ratings in each of the Euro NCAP test categories. This is a unique achievement we are very proud of," says Vauxhall/Opel Chief Executive Officer Karl-Friedrich Stracke.
The Vauxhall Ampera is the first car to score maximum points in the side pole impact test, which has been mandatory since 2009. For the test, the car is propelled sideways at a speed of 18mph into a pole, emulating a tree. The passenger cell is designed to ensure the least possible deformation and largest possible survival space in the event of a crash. The front, sides and rear of the passenger cell are protected by energy absorbing zones which will deform in a controlled manner, helping disperse high impact forces.
Electrical safety of the Vauxhall Ampera was also tested after each impact test. The battery pack of the Ampera is placed in the centre of the vehicle, with the vehicle structure built around it, meaning it is protected from from an side impacts. Post crash electric safety aims to achieve zero high voltage current in an emergency, and rescue parties can also disconnect the high voltage battery easily. The Vauxhall Ampera is required to have no electrolyte spilled into the passenger compartment and a maximum of seven per cent can be found outside the passenger compartment and battery.
Vauxhall Ampera Active and Passive Safety Features
- Standard Four-wheel Anti-lock Braking System, Traction Control, Electronic Brake-force Distribution, Brake Assist and Electronic Stability Control
- Eight airbags including front-, side-, knee- air bags as well as roof-mounted head-curtain air bags that help protect occupants in a side or rollover crash
- Optional rear-view camera system featuring a display integrated into the navigation system screen
- An ISOFIX child seat installation system for the rear seating positions
- Adjustable head restraints on the front seats which helps provide protection against whiplash injury in the event of a rear-end collision
- Collapsible pedal assembly (Pedal Release System) for lower leg protection in a frontal impact.