Toyota has unveiled its all-new Prius (the word means 'ahead of its time'), ushering in a new age of hybrid power vehicles. The car is scheduled to go on sale in the UK in November this year.Key Points
- All-new second generation Prius revealed
- UK sales to begin November 2003
- New Toyota Hybrid Synergy Drive system combining petrol engine and electric motor
- Significantly improved fuel economy and emissions levels
- New, bigger 5-door hatchback body design for more practicality
- Longer wheelbase for improved interior space
- Aerodynamically efficient with 0.26 coefficient of drag
- By-wire throttle and gear shift controls
- World’s first car to feature entirely electric brake by wire system
- Debut of innovative electric air conditioning system
- Moves up from C to D-segment of the market (Corolla to Avensis)
The new car is improved in every way. It is bigger, faster, more fuel efficient, pollutes less and is more fun to drive.
The new Prius introduces a high-efficiency power system, the Toyota Hybrid Synergy Drive. It is a full hybrid system, which means it can work in full petrol or electric modes or with a combination of both power sources. Performance compares to diesel powered family hatchbacks with a 0-62mph time of under 11 seconds.