- New Land Cruiser first car in segment to be given Thatcham E insurance classifications for ‘exceeding’ the required security provisions
- Group 12E rating for entry-level Land Cruiser LC2 3.0-litre D-4D diesel – equal lowest in class.
- Group 14E rating for LC3 and LC4 Land Cruiser 4.0-litre V6 petrol – equal lowest in class
- Insurance ratings for new Land Cruiser up to two groups lower than equivalent outgoing Land Cruiser Colorado models
- Combined crash repair parts costs substantially lower than all key competitors
The full Thatcham ABI insurance ratings for the new Land Cruiser are: -
Land Cruiser 3.0-litre D-4D Diesel
- LC2 12E
- LC3 13E
- LC4 14E
- LC5 14E
- LC3 14E
- LC4 14E
- LC5 15E
Take, for example, the Land Rover Discovery 2.5 TD5, where eight like-for-like front crash replacement parts together cost 21.2 per cent more than for the new Land Cruiser 3.0 D-4D. Fitting a new headlamp unit to your Land Cruiser will cost less than £100, compared to £460 for the Discovery.
The Mitsubishi Shogun requires a big wallet too, when you realise you will pay almost 41 per cent more to replace rear crash parts for the GDI 3.2 model compared to the new Land Cruiser. Service parts too are more expensive at 42.7 per cent more for the combined cost of oil and air filters and front and rear brake pads.
The Isuzu Trooper 3.0D and the Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Auto 2.7 CRD both prove comprehensively more expensive to fix, while a complete rear end repair for Nissan’s Patrol SE 3.0 D will cost you more than twice as much as for the new Land Cruiser.
The attached table gives a ‘blow-by-blow’ breakdown of how the new Land Cruiser achieves its all-round price advantage over the competition.
The new Land Cruiser’s mighty market appeal is further reinforced by the fact it is available in a wider range of trim levels than ever before and that prices will start from just £23,995 for the entry-level LC2 three door diesel model with manual transmission. New Land Cruiser goes on sale in the UK on 2 January.Published 12 December 2002