The new London Congestion Charge exemption rules will be introduced on the 1st July 2013 which means that only vehicles with emissions under 75 g/km will be exempt, rather than the more generous 100 g/km.
Although you still have until the 28th June 2013 to register a new or existing vehicle that qualifies under the previous 100g/km limit, which will continue to be exempt for a three-year transition period which ends on 24th June 2016.
According to Toyota they have 24 models in their current line-up that would match that criterion which range from ultra-compact city cars, the CT200h full hybrid and the seven-seat Prius+ MPV.
These are the current Toyota and Lexus vehicles that qualify for congestion charge exemption under the current criteria: (but hurry!)
- Toyota Aygo: Aygo, Aygo +, Aygo Fire and Aygo Ice
- Toyota iQ: iQ, iQ2, iQ3 models with 1.0-litre VVT-I petrol engine
- Toyota Yaris: Yaris Hybrid T4 and T Spirit
- Toyota Auris: Auris Hybrid Icon and Excel; Auris Active 1.4-litre D-4D manual
- Toyota Prius: Prius T3, T4 and T Spirit
- Toyota Prius + : Prius+ T4 and T Spirit
- Toyota Prius Plug-in Hybrid
- Lexus CT 200h: CT 200hS, SE, Luxury, Advance, F Sport and Premier
The Toyota Prius Plug-in which is powered a hybrid system combining a petrol engine and rechargeable lithium-ion battery will still be charge-exempt thanks to its 49g/km CO2 rating.Published 26 April 2013