The New Toyota Aygo (2005)Published 2 March 2005
- Aygo name symbolises freedom and mobility
- Built in the Czech Republic
- Available in the UK in three grades: T2, T3 and Sport
- Option packs available to enhance specification
- Superior safety package with four airbags standard on T3 and Sport grades and seatbelt warning system fitted to all models
- Strong but lightweight body makes extensive use of high tensile steel
- New 1.0-litre three-cylinder petrol engine
- Most powerful and highest torque producing 1.0-litre unit on the market, also the world’s lightest production car engine
- Class leading fuel consumption and carbon dioxide emissions
- Optional Multi-mode Manual Transmission (MMT)
- Aygo among the cheapest in its class for running and repair costs
- On sale in the UK from 1 July
Aygo is a car which answers all the demands of modern urban living, being highly practical and easy to park while delivering a dynamic driving experience and offering a cool modern design. Measuring 3,405mm long, 1,615mm wide and 1,465mm tall, it is the smallest car Toyota has marketed in Europe.
The name Aygo, pronounced eye-go, expresses freedom and mobility – just what the car will offer to its target market of urban men and women with active lifestyles. In short, Aygo is about easy but dynamic urban mobility.
Aygo marks a new approach for Toyota in several aspects. It has the potential to attract customers younger than the average Toyota driver: Toyota expects 80 to 90 per cent of Aygo owners to be new to the brand.
"We see a very positive mutual relationship between Aygo and the Toyota brand," said Andrea Formica, Toyota Europe Vice-President of Sales and Marketing.
"Furthermore, we have taken a unique approach to the Toyota Aygo’s launch process and lifecycle management, different from any used for any other Toyota model before. The Aygo launch campaign will target several major European cities, rather than focusing on countries. Toyota also intends, through several initiatives, to keep the Aygo fashionable throughout its lifespan."
In total, 100,000 Aygo models will be produced each year in the Czech Republic.