- Total retail sales increase to a record 34,160
- Total share of the new car market exceeds 1.2%
- Passenger car sales rise to almost 20,000 units
- Sales of 4x4 vehicles reach 12,000 for the first time
- Commercial vehicle sales advance 35% to 2,800
UK sales of Suzuki cars, 4x4s and commercial vehicles reached a new all-time high of 34,160 in 2002, 7% ahead of the total figure for Suzuki sales in 2001, itself another all-time record breaking year.
By the year end the Company had exceeded all of its full year sales targets and - reflecting continued growth in market demand for Wagon R+, Ignis and Liana and the sustained popularity of the Jimny and Grand Vitara ranges - increased its share of the new car market to 1.22%.
The achievements consolidate Suzuki's impressive growth in 2001 [the previous best ever year when sales rose to 31,947]. They include:
- Total sales UP by 2,200 [7%] on the record set in 2001
- Annual 4x4 sales reach 12,000 units for the first time ever
- Total Suzuki share of the passenger car market [including 'off road cars' as defined by SMMT] now exceeds 1.2%
- Total passenger car sales [excluding 4x4s] UP by 1,400 units [8%]
- Total sales of the Carry van and pick-up UP by 35%
"2002 was another buoyant year for the new car market and it is pleasing that, yet again, Suzuki's sales grew at a faster rate than the market as a whole and that they have now grown consistently - every year - for the past ten years.
"We anticipate further steady growth in 2003 when key objectives will again be to further reinforce the resources of our dealers and boost our visibility in the market with major national advertising initiatives as well as the launch a number of new models." David Seward says.Published 14 January 2003