The interior styling of the smart is superb and the attention to detail amusing.
How It Looks - Interior
The interior styling of the smart is superb and the attention to detail amusing. The air vents look like Darleks and both the clock and rev counter appear like periscopes popping up from the dashboard.
The cabin is spacious and well made whilst the switchgear is both chunky and tactile. The materials used are of a very high standard and the carpet should prove durable in the long term. The BRABUS heated leather sports seats are both luxurious and well crafted. The BRABUS trim complements the rev counter, clock, handles, instrument panel indicator tips and door handles with a carbon fibre effect.
The exclusive BRABUS aluminium accelerator and brake pedals are finished with non-slip rubber grips and the solid handbrake grip is finished in matt aluminium with a leather sleeve. The BRABUS gearshift knob is available in a leather and aluminium or solid aluminium.
The ignition is situated between the two seats next to the handbrake and is easy to use although it is amazing how many times you still try to put the key into the side of the steering column.
In-Car Entertainment and Satellite Navigation
- The smart Grundig RDS radio/single slot CD player fitted in our test car is an option. The sound was clear, its design was attractive and it was easy to use. A navigation system with RDS-tuner, CD and Europe-wide GPS-routing is available as an option.
What We Liked
- The performance
- The BRABUS exclusivity
- Attention to detail superb
What We Disliked
- Not able to adjust the passenger seat recline
- TRITOP convertible roof not one-touch shut
What We'd Like To See
- An alarm
- One shot up/down electric windows
- Driver able to open & shut passenger window without leaning across cabin
- TRITOP convertible roof one-touch shut
- Adjustable passenger seat recline
smart fortwo Road Test Data
|Model Reviewed||smart cabrio BRABUS|
|Colour||River silver metallic|
|Performance (manufacturers data)|
|0 - 62 mph||12.3 seconds|
|Top Speed||94 mph (electronically limited)|
|Transmission||SOFTOUCH automatic transmission (incorporating SOFTIP sequential 6-speed transmission) and steering wheel gearshift|
|Fuel Type||Unleaded - Petrol|
|CO2 Emissions (NEDC Figures)||g/km|
|Economy (NEDC Figures)|
|Urban||43.5 mpg - SOFTOUCH|
|Extra Urban||61.4 mpg - SOFTOUCH|
|Combined||53.3 mpg - SOFTOUCH|
|Euro NCAP Rating||3|
|Warranty||2-years/unlimited mileage warranty|
6-year warranty against corrosion perforation from the inside
|Price (when tested on the 30/12/03)||£ 14,215|