Three petrol and three diesel engines are offered for the Roomster. The petrol range starts with a 1.2-litre 70 bhp petrol engine. Further up the performance range sits a 1.4-litre four-cylinder petrol engine with 85 bhp producing 132 Nm torque at 3800 rpm. The most powerful petrol engine available is a 1.6 litre petrol unit with 105 bhp and 155 Nm torque at 3800 rpm.
The diesel line-up consists of a 1.4-litre and a 1.9-litre engine. The two smaller three-cylinder provide 70 bhp and 80 bhp while their torque maximums are 155 and 195 Nm at 1600-2800 rpm and 2200 rpm respectively. The most powerful diesel engine is the 1.9 TDI PD 105 bhp, four-cylinder model from the 1.9 litre family. It generates a powerful 240 Nm at a mere 1800 rpm.
All engines meet EU 4 exhaust emission standards. The fuel tank of the Roomster has a 55 litre capacity. All engines are linked to a manual five-speed gearbox as standard. A six-gear automatic transmission will be available as an option for the more powerful petrol versions and will be available after launch.
Highlights of the Skoda Roomster in overview:
- Maximum level of interior space in a car that measures a mere 4205 mm in length
- VarioFlex seating system in the rear creates maximum versatility
- Five-four-three or two-seater configurations for even more comfort
- Raised seating position for rear passengers and large side windows for a better view
- Rear seats can be folded down or removed individually
- Outer rear seats can be moved forward and back and laterally
- Seat backs with variable angle setting
- Boot volume of up to 1780 litres, payload of up to 515 kilograms
- Coordinated loading and securing system in the boot
- Tailor-made holders for three bicycles in the boot
- Functional storage compartments in the interior
- Six airbags and five three-point seat belts, even in the entry model
- Optional curve and cornering lights for the first time in a vehicle of this class
- Three diesel and three petrol engines
The new Roomster will go on sale in the UK in September 2006, with retailers able to take advance orders from the summer. Prices will start at just £9,920 OTR, continuing the outstanding value that is such an integral part of the Skoda brand.Published 31 May 2006