Innovative Particulate Filter
The 1.9TiD powertrain includes the most advanced diesel particulate filter on the market, enabling Euro 4 emissions compliance, an essential requirement for many company car drivers. Unlike other particulate traps, it is maintenance-free and self-cleaning, requiring no additives or periodic replacement.
Located in the exhaust system downstream of the close-coupled catalyst, the housing for the filter also includes a secondary oxidation catalyst to remove residual hydrocarbons (HC). The exhaust gases pass through this first, before entering the filter's ceramic core, made from a honeycomb of silicon carbide. This is perforated along its length by a matrix of microscopic channels, which collect the particulates as deposits from the exhaust.
In order to clean the filter and to keep the exhaust flow as free as possible, these deposits are periodically burnt off by short pulses of over-fuelling. These briefly raise exhaust temperatures to the required level of 600º C. The process is automatically initiated when back pressure in the exhaust system reaches a certain level and is completely undetectable by the driver.
This innovative solution has been made possible through the fuelling flexibility provided by the engine's multiple injection strategy. The self-cleaning process takes place whenever necessary, irrespective of throttle load or engine temperature.
Specifications, performance and fuel consumption*
*Provisional data. Full fuel consumption, CO2 and pricing details will be available later this summer.
- 1910 cc. Four cylinders. Aluminium cylinder head and cast iron block. DOHC 16v / SOHC 8v.
- Common rail, direct and multiple injection.
- Turbocharged, VNT; intercooled.
- Dual-mass flywheel.
- Front transversely-mounted, front wheel drive.
- Euro 4 Emissions (Jan 06) compliant.
- Maintenance-free particulate filter.
- Scheduled Service intervals, 25,000 km/15,400 miles.
- Jointly developed by GM-Fiat Powertrain, produced at FMA plant, Italy.