The Transport Secretary, Phillip Hammond and Business Minister Mark Prisk announced that the all new electric car, the Peugeot iOn will be eligible for the £5,000 Government Plug-In Car Grant.
The £5,000 Plug-In Car Grant is available for both retail and business customers. It is designed to assist the purchase of a qualifying ultra-low emission car which will be registered in the UK.
To benefit from the grant, customers purchasing a Peugeot iOn will not have to complete any extra paperwork. All the paperwork will be completed by their chosen Peugeot Dealership and the amount of the grant will automatically be deducted from the cost of the vehicle.
The Peugeot iOn is available in the UK via an "all-inclusive" mobility offer consisting of a four year 40,000 mile contract, with a monthly payment of £415 excluding VAT, which includes:
- The lease of the vehicle (battery pack considered part of the vehicle)
- Full warranty cover for the vehicle, battery and electric power train for the period of the lease
- Full servicing and full maintenance for four years and 40,000 miles
- Peugeot Connect Services (available April 2011)
At the end of the first four year period, all the benefits are available for a further four years 40,000 miles, at a reduced monthly amount, giving a further four years of worry free motoring.
With average running costs estimated at £1.72 per 93 miles, the energy bill of the Peugeot iOn is unbeatable regardless of which recharging mode is used. Carried out overnight or during "off-peak hours" recharging costs can be reduced further and help optimise the use of available power produced by the electricity supply companies.
As an all electric vehicle it also benefits from a range of further cost savings over a conventional internal combustion engined vehicle.
- No petrol or diesel costs - potential saving of £1538.38 per year
- No Congestion Charge (where applicable) -saving of £1696 annual charge for London
- No Parking charges (where applicable, e.g. City of Westminster) - potential saving of £1939 per year - £10 x 230 days of parking, less admin fee
Total potential annual saving - £5173.38 by operating an electric vehicle over a conventional internal combustion powered car.
The Peugeot iOn combines remarkable packaging with a spacious interior, ease of driving, high levels of safety, big car comfort levels and a high standard specification. It also benefits from all the inherent advantages provided by electric technology, namely unprecedented silence, the absence of tailpipe emissions and superb driveability.Published 16 December 2010