The Mitsubishi i-MiEV is today being delivered to the Environment Agency at Brampton in Peterborough for staff to drive whilst undertaking their work.
John Orr, Environment Manager for The Environment Agency said: "This is a really exciting development and I am thrilled that the Environment Agency's first electric vehicle should be coming to Brampton. I am really keen to explore the potential of the vehicle and to get comments from our staff about what they think of it once they've used it in their normal work."
The Environment Agency is hoping the Mitsubishi i-MiEV can help reduce the organisation's emissions and help fight against climate change.
Mark Ford-Powell of Environment Agency Fleet Operations added: "Over recent years we have seen technology in cars improve resulting in many low CO2 cars on the road and on our fleet. The introduction of an electric car to our fleet will provide us with further CO2 savings and the opportunity for us to measure the long term suitability of operating an electric car."
The Mitsubishi i-MiEV is the lowest priced mass-produced pure-EV available in the UK. Along with excellent contract hire, additional finance packages, and ultra low running costs, the i-MiEV becomes a very strong environmentally friendly proposition.
Mitsubishi i-MiEV Key Features
- Fuel cost only £270 for 12,000 miles driving (£2.09 per full charge based on an average of £0.10 per kWh)
- If using an Economy 7 tariff, this cost could be as little as £135 for 12,000 miles' driving (£1.05 per full charge based on an average of £0.05 per kWh)
- Low servicing costs and downtime - only approximately 4 working parts compared to over 300 in a typical internal combustion engine
- Exempt from road tax
- First year capital allowances for fleet vehicles
- Zero benefit-in-kind company car tax
- Exempt from London Congestion Charge
- Free parking in some London boroughs and cities such as Milton Keynes and Edinburgh
- Strong residual values
Independent advisors CAP have predicted the Mitsubishi i-MiEV will retain 43% of its on the road price after the £5,000 government incentive P-ICG and after three years and 30,000 miles which is better than most combustion engine rivals.
Safety - 4 Star Euro NCAP
Safety is very important for the Environment Agency and the Mitsubishi i-MiEV comes fitted as standard with a full compliment of safety systems to help prevent and reduce the effect of any impact. In recognition of its on-board safety features, the Mitsubishi i-MiEV has become the first electric vehicle to be crash-tested by the renowned Euro NCAP organisation: a milestone further enhanced by a 4-star rating under NCAP's new, and highly stringent protocols.Published 25 April 2011