Less than a year after its successful market introduction in Europe, the Mitsubishi ASX compact crossover confirms the excellence of its engineering with the Euro NCAP crash test results released today, a 5-Star (new protocol) achievement that will add to Mitsubishi ASX' many virtues.
In detail, Mitsubishi ASX' impressive performance reads as follows:
- Adult occupant: 86 %
- Child occupant: 78 %
- Pedestrian: 60 %
- Safety assist: 71 %
This high level of built-in passive safety comes as a result of a very comprehensive safety package including items such as:
- Shape optimisation of the octagonal-section straight front side members for better energy absorption.
- "Triple-leg" bearing structure linking the rear end of the front side member with the dash cross center and lower members to efficiently disperse frontal impact energy.
- Front section of the side members featuring a crush box structure that absorbs impact energy to prevent its transmission to the full length of the member in low-speed impacts. This minimises damage to the body as a whole and reduces repair costs.
- Reinforced girdle body construction - in which side member reinforcements are welded together. Highly effective in absorbing crash energy in frontal, rear and side impacts.
- Use of high-tensile steel (see above) reduces weight and increases stiffness.
All these measures (and more) complement Mitsubishi Motors' proprietary RISE ("Reinforced Impact Safety Evolution"). As a reminder, RISE is meant to integrate and interconnect structural elements for an active protection of the passengers during an accident. This design brings dramatic advances in multi-directional impact safety performance, dispersing energy loads during front, side and rear crashes and controlling distortion.
In parallel, the very good 60% rating for pedestrian safety results from the implementation of further items, such as:
- Bonnet design featuring a double bulge (creating a crushable zone for pedestrians)
- Open section construction of the windshield support
- Plastic front wings
- Energy absorbing front bumper (leg injury mitigation)
Beyond - courtesy of the all-inclusive electronic architecture of its "Project Global" platform - Mitsubishi ASX also offers the full palette of active & passive safety devices, including (availability according to model and market):
- Active Stability Control
- Traction Control
- Hill Start Assist system
- Electronic Brake Distribution
- Brake Assist
- Emergency Stop signal System
- Up to 7 airbags (incl. driver knee airbag) depending on market and version
Introduced in Europe late Spring of 2010, Mitsubishi ASX has already won over 22,665 customers in the region during CY2010.Published 23 February 2011