Top of the line in the exclusive 12-cylinder roadster segment is the Mercedes Benz SL 65 AMG. Its AMG 6.0-litre V12 biturbo engine produces 612 hp with maximum torque of 1000 Nm – unrivalled figures even four years after the market launch. The SL 65 AMG accelerates from 0 to 62 mph in just 4.2 seconds, impressive testimony to the outstanding power of the AMG V12 engine; top speed is 155 mph (electronically limited). Power in the SL 65 AMG is transferred by the AMG SPEEDSHIFT five-speed automatic transmission with three drive modes; a multi-disc limited-slip differential with a lock factor of up to 30 per cent also guarantees optimum traction.
Visual features which distinguish the V12 top-of-the-line model from the SL 63 AMG include a lower transverse fin painted matt silver in the front apron, “V12 BITURBO” lettering on the matt-silver-painted trim panels on the front wings and the AMG sports exhaust with two chromed twin tailpipes featuring the V12 styling. The new AMG bodystyling including AMG bonnet and AMG spoiler lip is also part of the standard specification for the V12 top-of-the-line model. 255/35 R 19 (front) and 285/30 R 19 (rear) tyres are fitted to the new 19-inch AMG twin-spoke forged light-alloy wheels painted titanium grey with a mirror finish. In tune with its incomparable driving dynamics the SL 65 AMG comes with a large AMG high-performance braking system using ultra-high-performance composite brakes at the front and rear. The front wheels are equipped with 390 x 36-mm brake discs while 360 x 26-mm discs provide the deceleration at the rear.
Nappa leather upholstery in the new AMG V12 diamond-pattern design
The exclusive nappa leather upholstery on the AMG sports seats and door centre panels with its new AMG V12 diamond-pattern design catches the eye in the interior of the SL 65 AMG. “V12 BITURBO” lettering on the rev counter adorns the new AMG instrument cluster. As with the SL 63 AMG, the new AMG ergonomic sports steering wheel with its three-spoke design and aluminium AMG shift paddles is also included.
Optional extras from the AMG PERFORMANCE STUDIO
Both the SL 63 AMG and the SL 65 AMG can be further enhanced with exclusive optional extras from the AMG Performance STUDIO. These include:
- AMG exterior carbon-fibre package with side air outlets in front apron, exterior mirror housing, spoiler lip and genuine carbon-fibre diffusor insert in rear apron
- AMG performance steering wheel, flattened underside and smaller diameter
- AMG door sill panels, illuminated in white light
- 19-inch AMG twin-spoke forged light-alloy wheels with mixed-size tyres, 255/35 R 19 and 285/30 R 19 (only for SL 63 AMG)
The Performance Package developed in the AMG Performance STUDIO is also available for the SL 63 AMG; it includes even more powerful components and is ideally suited for drivers with sporty inclinations:
- Internally ventilated composite brake discs, size 390 x 36 mm, on the front axle
- Multiple-disc limited-slip rear differential with a locking factor of 40 per cent for enhanced traction
- 19-inch AMG twin-spoke forged light-alloy wheels with mixed-size tyres, 255/35 R 19 and 285/30 R 19
- AMG performance suspension based on Active Body Control
- AMG performance steering wheel with smaller diameter, flattened underside, silver-coloured aluminium shift paddles
Pricing and final specification for UK cars will be announced nearer to the April 2008 launch.Published 8 February 2008