The All-New Jaguar XK at a glance
- All-new Jaguar XK 2+2 sports car
- First of a new generation of beautiful, fast Jaguars
- The most technically and technologically advanced Jaguar ever
- Succeeds the Jaguar XK range introduced in 1996
- All-aluminium construction forms a lightweight, incredibly stiff, strong car
- All-new XK lighter than its predecessor and key rivals, at 1595kg kerb weight
- Delivers a balance of superb performance, driving dynamics and Jaguar sophistication
- Intuitive controls and driver-focussed technologies - such as keyless entry, push button start and active lighting - enhance driver enjoyment
- Spacious, elegant sports car cabin exemplifies Jaguar craftsmanship, luxury and quality
- Launched with latest generation naturally aspirated 4.2-litre Jaguar AJ-V8 engine, developing 300bhp (224kW) SAE / 298PS (219kW) EEC
- New Jaguar Sequential Shift 6-speed automatic transmission system incorporates steering wheel-mounted paddles for manual gear changes
- Reaches 60mph from standstill in 5.9 seconds and completes quarter mile sprint in 14.4 seconds - less than half a second off the pace of the previous 400bhp supercharged model*
- Top speed of 155mph (electronically limited)
- On sale from early 2006, with prices announced at the beginning of the year.
- Convertible model will also be available - details will be announced later this year
*Manufacturer provisional test figures
You only have to look at the all-new XK to know that this car is a giant leap forwards. The handsome, powerful looks are clearly a continuation of the style of the Advanced Lightweight Coupe concept first unveiled at the Detroit Auto Show in January 2005.
The use of beautiful lines and clean surfaces was crucial in defining the all-new XK’s more sporting character. In Jaguar design director Ian Callum’s words: "The fundamental values of Jaguar design do not change - not even since Sir William Lyons created the first Jaguar all those years ago. The entire design team worked with those values as we looked to create a car with clean lines, a purposeful stance and exquisite proportions. We took influences from our heritage and evolved them to produce a car that is beautiful, visually fast yet undeniably modern; just as Sir William's own designs were in their day."
In one respect the all-new XK arguably has more in common with earlier cars like the original XKs and the C, D and E-TYPEs than it does with the most recent XK, and that is the way in which the shape wraps more tightly around the mechanical underpinnings. The way the well-toned skin stretches tautly over the structure is timelessly modern, sophisticated, and easy on the eye.
The all-new XK is visibly more assertive and sporting than the model it replaces - a future classic in its own right. In true Jaguar tradition the all-new XK is also elegant and understated. It has classic, ground-hugging coupe proportions, with a long bonnet, steeply raked windscreen and rear window, arch-filling wheels, and minimal overhangs. The front-wing power vents are a new Jaguar styling signature; the distinctive oval grille opening, prominent bonnet power-bulge and practicality-enhancing rear liftback door all echo the E-TYPE; while details like the sweeping front and rear light shapes and powerful stance establish Jaguar sports car design firmly in the 21st century.