When Ford began developing Fusion Plus, the Product Development team invited employees to bring their children to work. There was a serious purpose for this as, besides being fun for the kids, it helped Ford’s Product Development team to determine the specifications of a new rear-seat entertainment package.
“Our goal,” said Glen Goold, Chief Programme Engineer, “was to give Fusion Plus one of the most child-centric back-seat areas in any compact car.”
Besides an optional ceiling-mounted DVD console (standard in the UK) with integrated CD and MP3 capability, Fusion Plus’s rear seat entertainment system also includes:
- Two infrared headsets that do away with tangled cables and allow rear seat passengers enhanced freedom of hand and head movement while listening. Sockets also are provided for those wishing to use their own wired headsets.
- A remote control unit for full DVD play capability which, if required, allows the front or rear passenger to control the DVD system without having to loosen his or her safety belt to reach the controls
- Dedicated ports to connect nearly every type of game station on the market and to connect videos sources like camcorders, with a separate power point at the back of the front seat centre console to provide power. The games consoles may require the addition of a suitable, 240-volt transformer (available separately).
- Roof-mounted control unit, including a fully integrated monitor display with adjustable viewing angle
- A “time out” function that allows the rear-seat entertainment system to function 30 minutes after the car ignition has been turned off, but then removes power to preserve battery life
- A security system that features mandatory vehicle ID coding prior to customer delivery at the dealership. This theft-deterrent feature identifies the parent vehicle of the entertainment console should it be removed from the vehicle.
- Tamper-proof settings and a key code function that prevent unwanted users from starting, or tampering with, the system.
The infrared headphones and DVD remote control of the rear-seat entertainment system will be factory delivered, when ordered, in a special bag matching the rear seat module bag.
In addition, Fusion Plus can be ordered with one of four audio systems and the optional satellite navigation system of the standard Fusion as well.