The Ford Mondeo, Britain's best selling diesel car, has received another boost to its line up with the Duratorq TDCi 2.0-litre, 115 PS common rail diesel engine, now engineered to accommodate the Euro Stage IV emissions level.
The new engine is available to buy now in all bodystyles, with prices starting from just £17,190. Mondeo now offers Euro IV compliant diesels across the range providing customers with unrivalled choice.
Like the 130 PS Euro IV unit, the new 115 PS TDCi features second-generation, high-pressure common rail injection technology that provides multiple customer benefits, especially improved fuel economy, higher torque and enhanced driving quality and refinement. It is also equipped with a turbocharger with electrically actuated variable geometry, delivering markedly improved performance.
'We are very proud of our Mondeo diesel development' commented Keith Kershaw, large car brand manager. 'This addition to the range both widens the choice for customers and provides a clear benefit for company car drivers'.
Top of the agenda for Ford engineers was the objective of clean combustion and reducing residues produced in the Duratorq diesel unit’s combustion chamber. Measures taken to fine-tune the Duratorq 115 PS engine include:
- New injector nozzles with smaller spray hole diameters for particularly fine fuel spray into the combustion chamber.
- Rounded, cone-shaped injection channel geometry, resembling, more closely than before, an inverted trumpet bell.
- Seven instead of five-injection spray holes in each injector nozzle.
- Modified geometry of the combustion chamber cavity in the piston, with anodised surface treatment.
- A new sensor-controlled exhaust gas recirculation valve, giving highly precise, instantaneous information regarding gas flow.
- An Allied Signal GT 20 turbocharger with electrically actuated variable blade geometry, offering a wider adjustment range than a vacuum driven unit.
Combined with the refined fuel injection features, the expanded adjustment range of the electronically actuated turbocharger provides an increase in usable power at the lower end of the engine speed range. The Mondeo's Duratorq TDCi Stage IV engine provides significantly enhanced flexibility, expanding the usable engine speed range down to 1,300 rpm and minimising the need for downshifts.
In addition to its outstanding capabilities in the lower engine speed range, the Ford Duratorq TDCi 115 PS diesel, like all Ford diesel units, has overboost control. This feature controls boost pressure and thus maximum torque, providing a temporary increase in torque from 285 Nm (steady state figure) to 310 Nm. The result is that Ford Mondeo Duratorq TDCi 115 PS remains one of the quickest diesel engines on the market – and one of the cleanest as well.Published 25 February 2004