Ford’s award-winning range of Focus TDCi models gets a muscular makeover this month with the introduction of the exciting TDCi Sport, a limited edition model that successfully combines the torquey performance of Ford’s 115PS Duratorq turbo diesel engine and superb chassis dynamics with muscular styling and a high standard of specification.
- New TDCi Sport joins award-winning turbo-diesel Focus model line-up
- Powered by advanced British-built 115PS common rail turbo-diesel engine
- Limited edition and available in both three and five-door
- Generous equipment levels, including 17inch seven-spoke alloy wheels, part-leather seats, air conditioning, traction control and anti-lock brakes
- On sale now, with prices starting at £14,995 on the road
The three and five-door TDCi Sport is easily identified by its unique 17inch seven spoke alloy wheels and sports-style front driving lamps. Inside, drivers are pampered with partial leather sports seats, air conditioning, remote central locking, while safety features include anti-lock brakes and traction control as standard.
The TDCi Sport uses the acclaimed 1.8-litre Duratorq engine, which is built at Dagenham, Ford’s Centre for Diesel Excellence. Using advanced second-generation common-rail technology, the engine produces 115PS and a robust 280Nm of torque.
The TDCi Sport will sprint to 62mph in 10.8seconds and reach a top speed of 120mph, while still returning an impressive 51.4mpg on the combined cycle.
Ford’s common-rail system provides extremely precise injection control using a technique called ‘pilot accelerometer technology’. A vibration sensor mounted on the engine cylinder block detects the onset of combustion and minutely corrects the initial amount of so called ‘pilot’ fuel down to quantities below one cubic millimetre. The result is a controlled, ultra smooth and efficient combustion process
The TDCi Sport joins Ford’s burgeoning range of advanced common rail turbo diesels models now available in the Fiesta, Fusion, Mondeo, C-Max, Mondeo and Galaxy line-up. In a UK diesel market that grew by 10 per cent over last year, Ford notched up a massive 35 per cent diesel sales increase over the last 12 months – and the Focus TDCi Sport looks set to bolster Ford’s diesel sales even further.
Ford Focus TDCi awards include…
- Diesel Car Magazine - Focus 2002 ‘Compact Family Diesel Car’ of the year
- Autocar - Focus 2002 New Car Honours list ‘Best Compact Diesel Car’