Ford is expanding its acclaimed Focus line-up with the introduction of a mid-sized people carrier, the Ford Focus C-MAX, which makes its debut at the 2003 Geneva Motor Show.
- All-new Focus C-MAX with class-leading handling, steering, and braking – builds on the acclaimed dynamics of the Ford Focus
- C-MAX for Maximum Comfort, Maximum Confidence, Maximum Control
- Two all-new Duratorq TDCi common-rail diesel engines and a new 6-speed manual transmission
- Dual-stage front airbags, side airbags, and side curtain airbags standard on all models in major markets
- Sleek, car-like exterior design makes the Focus C-MAX the most aerodynamic car in its segment
- Rear-seat flexibility with ample space for three – or significantly improved leg room and shoulder room for two passengers
- Ergonomic, comfortable driving environment with commanding seating position and instrument panel-mounted gear lever
- Two premium Sony™ audio systems available
- Large, mid-console available for additional stowage with optional cooling facility
Ford first revealed its intent for a spacious and more versatile Focus with a concept at the 2002 Paris Motor Show. This vehicle, dubbed ‘Focus C-MAX Concept’ signalled Ford’s thinking on this fast-growing segment. It combined space, versatility and comfort with the sleek styling and safe, stable driving experience of Europe’s favourite car. The result was a concept for a modern family vehicle with contemporary style, appealing technology and features that would help to extend an active lifestyle.
"The reaction to the Paris concept car convinced us that the C-MAX name summed up very neatly what this car is all about", said Joerg Pfisterer, Ford of Europe’s Brand Manager for Medium Cars. " First, it builds on all of the established strengths of the Ford Focus. Second, while ‘C’ indicates the market segment it competes in, it also points to its key attributes – Comfort, Confidence and Control. Third, ‘MAX’ is symbolic of what we aim to deliver in each case:Maximum Comfort: well-shaped seats with good side support, ample legroom, and great ergonomics.
Maximum Confidence: dynamic and contemporary style, strong Ford identity, intelligent versatility, long list of interior features, Intelligent Protection System.
Maximum Control: predictable and stable, superior handling, steering and braking, good visibility".