From 1 September production, all 2.0 litre diesel models in the 3 Series range will have Euro IV compliant engines. Applying to 320td Compact, 320d Saloon, 320d Touring and the recently announced 320Cd Coupé, this makes 3 Series even more attractive to company car drivers, as they will not be liable for the government’s three per cent surcharge for non-Euro IV diesel company cars.
Corresponding to the introduction of Euro IV engines, there will be a price rise of £220 on affected models. This increase does not apply to ES variants or the 320Cd which arrives in September. Launch prices for BMW’s first diesel Coupé have been confirmed at £24,310 on-the-road for the entry-level model and £26,620 for the Sport variant.
Other 3 Series model year 2004 changes:
- Window anti-trap mechanism included for 3 Series Convertibles as standard
- Optional dual band professional fixed telephone replaces fixed GSM telephone, adding Orange and T Mobile to the range of service providers
- Additional M colours for all 3 Series Sport models (excluding Compact) - Carbon Black and Le Mans Blue (through the Individual programme)
- Replacing up to three remote controls used to operate garage doors, driveway gates etc, universal remote control will be introduced as an option on all 3 Series body styles
- 16" Star Spoke Style 45 alloy wheels, to be standard on 325ti SE Compact replacing Double Spoke Style 88
- 17" Double Spoke Style 98 light alloy wheels to be offered as an option on all Compact models
- 17" Star Spoke Style 119 light alloy wheels to be offered as an option on all 3 Series Saloon and Touring models
- 16" Double Spoke Style 88 and 17" Star Spoke Style 96 alloy wheels deleted from 3 Series Compact
From 1 October production, the innovative iDrive system will be even easier to use thanks to the inclusion of two new buttons, housed below the circular controller. One is a menu button that takes users back to the top page menu from any page. The other is an additional programmable key available for entertainment functions. These changes are also included for the rear entertainment package where specified.
Also from October, Service Inclusive replaces BMW Concours to complement the identical offer on the new 5 Series. This gives drivers five years or 60,000 miles of maintenance-free ownership for a fixed, one-off £750 payment. It is also fully transferable to next owners, potentially enhancing residual values.