Highlights of BMW’s activities within the BMW Group Plaza at the 2006 British International Motor Show
- BMW will present its first World Premiere of a new BMW model at a British motor show.
- 21 BMW cars will represent the full BMW range, including the UK public debut of the BMW Z4 Coupé, the 3 Series (2006 World Car and What Car? Car of the Year), a full line-up of M powered cars (M3, M5, M6, Z4 M Roadster and Coupé), and the world debut of the BMW 730Ld Edition Exclusive.
- BMW’s motor sport and other sporting activities will be strongly represented, particularly with the BMW Oracle America’s Cup showboat on display. Visitors will be able to look round the full-size replica of the multi-million pound racing yacht competing for the world’s most prestigious sailing trophy.
- BMW’s three-tiered approach to global motor sport participation is represented with a BMW Sauber Formula 1 show car, Andy Priaulx’s WTCC 320si, and a Formula BMW single-seater.
- BMW’s relationship with England’s top international golf championship, the BMW Championship at Wentworth, and its Ryder Cup support at the K Club in Dublin this autumn, is represented with a golf challenge at the show. Hospitality tickets to the 2007 BMW Championship will be on offer as visitors tee-off onto a floating green in Royal Victoria Dock.
- Mirroring BMW’s product line-up expansion in the car market, BMW motorcycles are also going through a huge development phase. Fans of BMW’s two-wheeled machines will have the opportunity to see three brand new bikes: the R1200 GS Adventure, R1200 S, F800 S.
Real MINIs, fake MINIs, and a concept MINI makes motor show a must-see for mini adventurers
- MINI GP (MINI Cooper S with John Cooper Works GP kit) UK debut. The first sight in the UK of the most powerful, production MINI ever. MINI will present GP car number 001 in a series of just 444 GPs due for UK owners.
- The full line-up of MINIs will be on display. Since 7 July 2001, when the first MINI One and MINI Cooper cars took to the roads, almost 190,000 MINIs have been sold in the UK. The MINI family now consists of: MINI One, Cooper and Cooper S; MINI One D; MINI One, Cooper and Cooper S Convertible; MINI One Seven, MINI Cooper Park Lane and MINI Cooper S Checkmate; MINI GP.
- UK debut of the MINI Concept that hints at a third MINI model confirmed for production. The concept, unveiled at the 2006 Geneva motor show, celebrates Paddy Hopkirk’s famous 1964 Monte Carlo victory….and MINI’s ‘unfair’ disqualification two years later.
- MINI owners will be invited onto the MINI BARge, a purpose-built floating hospitality venue dedicated to all things MINI.
- MINI visitors will enjoy a MINI Fake Invaders game where they battle against fake MINIs from inside a real MINI.
- And tipping a wink to those that have tried to copy MINI’s successes in the UK since its 2001 launch, MINI has allowed a number of fake MINIs to attend the show. MINI has received confirmation of attendance from a fake MINI shed, a fake MINI piano and a fake MINI ride-on lawnmower, but is trying to prevent a 20 metre high fake MINI crane from spoiling the party.
Andy Hearn, MINI UK’s General Manager said: "At the NEC in 2002 and 2004 we presented MINI Adventure Live and MINI Open Air Theatre and introduced a new and exciting concept for motor shows. Just what MINI fans expected. It was always going to be a tough act to follow, but I am sure this year’s show-goers will get a great buzz from visiting MINI. They may even get to destroy a few aliens."Published 21 May 2006