Bentley Motors is delighted to unveil the production version of its new Continental GT as it makes its world debut at the Geneva Motor Show. Seen hitherto only as a design concept, the Continental GT now appears in its final form, ready for delivery to customers from the fourth quarter of this year. It is truly a landmark car: it is the first all-new and unique Bentley design for 70 years and the first to be designed, engineered and manufactured for Bentley Motors alone since the fabled 8-litre of 1930.
Conceived to be a sporting coupé without rival, the Continental GT is not just the fastest production Bentley in the 84-year history of the company, it is also the fastest genuine four seat coupé in the world. It combines all elements of the finest British Grand Touring traditions and Bentley craftsmanship with some of the most advanced technologies ever brought to the automotive market.
Featuring a 6-litre, 12 cylinder, twin-turbocharged, engine with 560PS (411kW) driving all four wheels through a paddle-operated, six speed automatic gearbox, the Continental GT offers true supercar performance combined with the interior space, versatility and ease of ownership to make it not merely viable as an everyday car, but a natural for the role. In this respect as well as many others, Bentley believes the Continental GT to be unique.
The Continental GT has been designed and engineered by Bentley at Crewe and will be manufactured there in all-new facilities combining state of the art technologies with the unique hand finishing and attention to detail that have been the hallmark of all cars to wear the winged ‘B’. It brings the prospect of Bentley ownership to a wider audience of discerning enthusiasts than ever before. And while the Continental GT is a Bentley from bumper to bumper, the role of the company’s Volkswagen parent has been a critical component in its realisation.
The dream of building a new Bentley coupé is not new – indeed it has been alive at Crewe for over 20 years. But it was only the £500 million vote of confidence placed in the marque by Volkswagen that brought the dream to reality. It has enabled Bentley to transform the Crewe factory into a thoroughly modern centre of manufacturing excellence, ensuring not only that Bentley is in better shape today than ever, but also guaranteeing its design, engineering and manufacturing sovereignty as far into the future as it is possible to see.
- An all-new Bentley coupé, inspired by the finest Grand Touring traditions but designed, engineered and built using the most modern techniques blended with inimitable Bentley craftsmanship.
- The fastest four-seat coupé in the world with a top speed in excess of 190mph (300km/h) and 0-60mph in 4.7 sec (0-100km/h in 4.8 sec).
- Powered by a Bentley-designed 6-litre, twin-turbocharged, W12 engine developing 560PS (411kW). Tuned to provide not simply massive power, but also the unmistakeable Bentley delivery achieved only by the coincidence of high torque at low revs.
- Drive is sent to all four wheels, a first for a Bentley – as is the paddle operated, six-speed automatic gearbox. All-wheel drive and electronic stability programme were considered essential not only for the Continental GT’s performance, but also to provide year-round versatility in all conditions.
- Styled in house at Bentley’s design studios in Crewe to incorporate all traditional Bentley design hallmarks into a totally contemporary shape. Packaged to seat a family of four in comfort and to provide enough luggage space for a fortnight’s driving holiday.
- Styling cues include pillarless cabin, minimal front overhang, pronounced haunches, distinctive ‘face’ featuring large inner headlamps, flush mounted rear spoiler that rises at speed.
- Designed entirely in the virtual world, using the very latest digital processes.
- Chassis designed by Bentley engineers to provide responsive handling combined with an effortlessly absorbent ride quality consistent with Continental GT’s Grand Touring role