- New S6 quattro Saloon and Avant models opened for UK order on March 9. First UK deliveries scheduled for July
- 5.2-litre V10 FSI petrol engine developed using Lamborghini Gallardo’s 5.0-litre unit as its technical basis, linked to six-speed tiptronic automatic transmission
- 435PS at 6,800rpm, max torque of 540Nm from 3,000-4,000rpm, 0-62mph in 5.2 seconds (Avant 5.3), electronically limited 155mph top speed, 21.0mpg
- Modified sports suspension with latest generation quattro drive incorporating 40/60 rear biased torque split
- All-up weight of 1,910kg, giving impressive power-to-weight ratio of 220PS per ton (S6 quattro Saloon)
- Exclusive styling incorporating unique single frame grille design, flared front wheel arches, separate daytime running light strips
The latest addition to the acclaimed Audi S quattro Series - the formidable 435PS, V10 FSI S6 quattro - is released for UK ordering this week at an OTR price of £55,330 in Saloon form or £56,600 as an Avant. The first examples will reach UK customers in July.
Developed with technical input from Lamborghini, the quattro four-wheel-driven Audi super saloon and its even more accommodating Avant estate counterpart combine a lavish specification with the capacity for pure exhilaration courtesy of the FSI directly injected 5.2-litre V10 petrol engine and its 435PS charge.
With its family ties to the 5.0-litre V10 powering the Lamborghini Gallardo evident in its sonorous engine note, the ten-cylinder Audi FSI unit delivers slingshot acceleration through a bespoke six-speed tiptronic automatic transmission whose rapid fire changes help to maximise its potential. The sprint to 62mph is possible in 5.2 seconds (Avant 5.3 seconds) on the way to a top speed limited electronically to 155mph, yet this doesn’t rule out a respectable 21.0mpg economy figure (combined cycle), thanks in part to the efficiency of the Audi FSI direct fuel injection system.
As befits an Audi S quattro model, extensively modified lightweight sports suspension incorporating a high proportion of aluminium strikes the best possible balance between ride comfort and handling balance. The reassurance of scrabble-free acceleration and outstanding grip in all conditions comes courtesy of the latest generation quattro permanent four-wheel-drive system with a standard 40:60 (front / rear) torque split.
Visually, the new S6 quattro is marked out by a unique front end design incorporating a restyled single frame grille and an additional central air intake flanked by larger side intakes containing distinctive LED daytime running strip lights. Front wheel arches flared by 14mm, aluminium look door mirrors and larger body-coloured side rubbing strips enhance the profile in conjunction with 19-inch 5-arm Wing design alloy wheels. At the rear, an integrated boot or tailgate spoiler, a built-in diffuser in a contrasting colour and four ellipsoidal exhaust tailpipes subtly complete the look.
Inside, S quattro distinguishing features include new electrically adjustable Alcantara and leather-upholstered sports seats with integral head restraints and pronounced lateral supports, an ‘S quattro’ three-spoke leather-trimmed sports steering wheel with contrasting double seam stitching and aluminium look tiptronic gear shift paddles, plus an exclusive S quattro design for the gear knob and dials.
Also included in the UK S6 quattro specification is DVD satellite navigation built into the much praised Multi Media Interface (MMI High), a 6 CD autochanger and an upgraded Driver’s Information System (DIS) with a built-in digital speedometer.Published 11 March 2006