- Flagship Audi A8 models are awarded five stars for security in 2005 Thatcham tests
- A8 is Britain’s most secure car according to findings of The Motor Insurance Repair Research Centre at Thatcham following tests undertaken on behalf of the insurance industry
- Five star rating for both ‘theft of’ and ‘theft from’ security
- Audi single frame grille now adopted by six and eight-cylinder A8 models
- All ‘standard’ V6 and V8 models upgrade to a new SE specification with additional equipment, which can be supplemented by a new Sport package at extra cost
- 2006 Model Year range includes new 3.2 V6 petrol (260PS) and 4.2 V8 TDI (326PS) models and is priced from £47,930 OTR to £77,360 OTR
A new look, new specification and new engines have made a world of difference to the 2006 model year Audi A8, but its ranking as the most secure car in Britain remains unchanged for the second year in succession.
In the recent British Insurance Car Security Awards, the A8 outclassed 12 other models in its segment and scored the highest points total overall. It consequently gained a 5 star rating for both ‘theft of’ and ‘theft from’ security, and the best-in-class award in the Executive/Luxury category – one of 11 categories judged by Thatcham experts. The A8 remains the only luxury saloon from the ‘big three’ German premium brands to merit this top rating, bearing testament yet again to the exceptional attention to detail that has been paid to the flagship Audi.
Thatcham is one of Europe's leading authorities in the field of vehicle security. Its experts have been assessing the theft protection standards of vehicles for over ten years and use a star rating system to reflect a vehicle's standard of theft protection. These New Vehicle Security Ratings (NVSR) have been co-developed by Thatcham, and are supported by the Association of British Insurers, the AA, the Advanced Automotive Glazing Manufacturers Association and the Department for Transport.
The recently enhanced A8 range achieved its outstanding security rating thanks to a full complement of safeguards, including Thatcham Category One alarm and immobiliser technology and laminated side glass for maximum break-in protection as standard across the range.
Key improvements to the latest range include the adoption of the latest Audi styling treatment incorporating the new single frame grille design for all models, a new and more comprehensive SE specification as standard for V6 and V8 versions and the addition of two exceptional new engines.
In the petrol line-up, a 3.2-litre V6 with advanced Audi FSI direct injection technology and 260PS replaces the original 220PS 3.0-litre V6, and creates the premium sector’s most powerful six-cylinder luxury car. Diesel also becomes an even more attractive option as the A8 becomes the world’s most powerful production diesel car through a new 4.2-litre V8 TDI with Piezo injection and 326PS, which replaces the original 275PS 4.0 V8 TDI.Published 1 July 2005